Tuesday, August 31, 2021

The Cost of a Beer

I was out for a friend’s birthday at a downtown Edmonton establishment on the weekend. The three of us each ordered a sleeve of their brand name beer for the $3 happy hour price. My friend’s drink came looking like diluted apple juice (and apparently diluted apple juice would’ve tasted better). When he told our server this, she politely said “I’m sorry you don’t like it, but you’re still going to have to pay for it.”. It got me thinking about the actual cost of the beer. Was it worth it for the bar to do this when the sleeve probably cost them 30 cents?

Let’s say three friends and I head out 4 times a year to catch up and watch sports. If we chose this place, and we each spend $30 a visit so over the year that’s a total of $480 we would’ve spent. I’m sure that amount won’t make or break this bar, but we could choose to spend it with them or not.

Is it worth 30 cents for there to be a question in my mind as to whether I’d want to go back or refer it to others? Is it worth 30 cents for the brand risk of me telling people that the product they serve isn’t very good and they won’t stand by it? Was it worth 30 cents for us to second guess our choice to go there and whether to switch venues?

The story could’ve been very different. Our server (and I’m not blaming her, she was good and was just doing her job) could’ve been empowered to invest 30 cents and say “I’m sorry to hear that. Let me get you something else that would you prefer. This one’s on us, but let’s pick you something new.” That would’ve changed the story. We instead might’ve stayed longer or ordered more. I’d also likely be writing a very different blog about how a spot in downtown Edmonton took care of us and understands marketing.

Many of you are probably saying “Geez Doug, it was a $3 beer, suck it up” and you’re right. It’s not about the $3 it cost our table. It’s about the message. It’s about the bar not considering how to turn those 30 cents into a positive story – to one people will talk about and share. Marketing in any business isn’t just about the stories we share, it’s about the ones others share for us. And those often don’t have to cost very much.

No comments: