Sunday, August 15, 2021

Olympic Intangibles

The Olympics are over now for a week (and the withdrawal is real!). Brilliant performances again shone a spotlight on the incredible athletes of the world. This doesn’t, however, take away polarizing opinions around the Olympics. It’s easy to point at the flaws in the event at the top of the global sports heap, and in fairness there are many to point out. What the Olympics do offer us is two key things that we need more of in our world.

Togetherness – An early memory, if not my first, was as a three year old being asked by my parents to attend track and field at the 1978 Commonwealth Games. I declined, not out of disinterest, but because I wanted to watch at home with my grandma. Despite it being the only live sporting event I’ve ever turned down, even at 3 I knew something big was happening in my city and we together were part of it. Like few things, the hosting of international sporting events has a unique ability to unite cities. Cities and citizens collectively take ownership of showing off the best of their city and welcoming visitors. It’s a team effort of volunteers, businesses, spectators, and others.

Additionally, no matter where the games are, countries come together. Nationwide conversations update everyone about the latest medal winner or outstanding performance. And I have yet to mention the most obvious example which is how the Olympics unites the world’s athletes. Sportsmanship across borders, fierce but friendly competition, and lifelong friendships between people from oceans apart are all part of the unity that occurs and is often overlooked.

Futures – It’s hard, if not impossible, to put a price on that moment someone feels inspired by seeing the Olympics (or another major international event) or an Olympian. Whether it leads to someone becoming an elite athlete, trying a new sport. or even someone like me who’s been inspired, and fortunate, to work in international sport, the Olympics have a unique ability to chart new paths for millions. When Edmonton hosted the 1983 World University Games, I couldn’t get enough and knew I wanted someday to partake, whether as a volunteer or something else. Seeing those events led me to being part of the 2001 World Championships in Athletics. My future was changed because of Edmonton hosting those events and I’m confident I’m not in the minority.

Having now worked at multiple international events, including those same World University Games, the part I look forward to the most is that indescribable feeling you have being in a city where they’ve collectively embraced that something big is happening. You can’t put a finger on it, or its value, but it’s there. Instead of emphasis on all the Olympics’ challenges, I’d love to see more focus on these unique and valuable elements it has that brings the best out of our world.

No comments: